In this short tutorial I am going to explain the main steps that you need to go through in order to install LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) server on Ubuntu operating system. In the resources sections I provide more links to pages that I recommend to read - if you want for example to learn more about each step as well as about different components that make up web server. All steps are aimed at users that run Debian based Linux distribution for example Ubuntu either as main operating system, second operating system or as virtual machine.
- basic knowledge about Linux how to install program from Linux terminal,
- Linux operating system (for example running as Virtual Machine on VirtualBox)
In this tutorial I am going to:
- List main steps that you need to perform in order to install Web server: Apache, PHP5, and MySQL.
- Change default settings to improve performance of server.
- Explain how to set up virtual hosts.
- Install and configure additional component to run Drupal - Content Management System - on your local web server.
I am making this tutorial available for anyone who wants to learn how to install and configure web server on Linux operating system. If you want use it for teaching purposes you are free to do so but you must provide link to a page where this tutorial is published. Please ensure that you read and understand “Terms and Conditions”, “Website Disclaimer”
I do my best to provide information as accurate and correct as possible - please let me know if you find any mistakes. I hope that attached examples help you understand new terminology.
In case of any comments, questions or enquires regarding this tutorials please contact with me